About Trip to Velas Turtle Festival 2019 :
Velas is a small eco-village in Ratnagiri district which is famous for Olive Ridley turtles that visit the Velas beach every year to lay eggs. At Velas, turtle conservation movement is undertaken by the villagers. An NGO named Sahyadri Nisargamitra started the conservation and now the Grampanchayat and villagers’ committee has taken over the responsibility to conserve Olive Ridley Turtles by providing protection to their eggs. Every year, the tiny village of Velas, in Maharashtra, bears witness to a truly heart-warming sight, as thousands of newly hatched Olive Ridley turtles take their first steps towards the big blue sea. You can be a spectator of this marvelous scene by going on a trip to Velas turtle festival. Mumbai Travellers welcomes all the nature lovers for this year’s Velas turtle festival tour, as we take you on a truly unforgettable journey where you will witness these exquisite creatures taking tiny footsteps in the vast, white sands of the Konkan.
Velas (Velas beach) is not only home to turtles but also to a myriad of bird species including the White Bellied Sea Eagle, White Backed Vulture, and Indian Swiftlet. Accommodation in a local home-stay will truly add a warm touch to the experience. Much is in store on this Velas turtle festival tour, apart from turtle sightings. You can go on a village walk, go to the historic Bankot Fort and Harihareshwar temple and also satiate your taste buds by some truly authentic Konkani cuisine.
Category : Eco-Tour
Duration : 01 Nights / 02 Days
What is included in the tour
1. Accommodation in a typical Konkani bungalow on homestay sharing basis. (Velas is an eco-tourism village and separate rooms / hotel accommodation is not available)
2. Transportation from Mumbai to Mumbai or Pune to Pune by Non-A/c luxury Bus.
3. Typical Konkani veg meals on tour. (Breakfast, Dinner & Lunch)
4. Sightseeing and entry tickets, wherever necessary.
5. Ferryboat Charges & entry tickets.
6. Mumbai Travellers’ Expertise
What is NOT included in the tour
1. Tax as applicable
2. Bottled water, aerated drinks
3. Lens/Camera charges if any
4. Anythings other than above mentioned inclusions.
1) Sighting Olive Ridley Turtles at Velas beach.
2) Witness these turtles taking their first baby steps towards the sea.
3) Stay provided in a beautiful Konkani home stay.
3) Visit to historical Bankot Fort and Harihareshwar Temple.
4) Enjoy delicious and authentic Konkani cuisine at the home stay.
5) A walk-through village at night and many other fun activities on the beach.
Day 00 -Friday :
Depart from Mumbai by 10:30 p.m by non-a/c luxury bus.
Day 01 – Saturday
We reach Velas eco-village by 06:00 am after a bumpy yet fun ride. Then, we visit Velas beach to witness the tiny turtles taking their first steps. Post sightings, a briefing session would be taken to educate about Olive Ridley Turtles and how they fight for their existence. After that, we move towards our home-stay. You can freshen up and unload your bag-packs. Later, we will have delicious home-made breakfast aalong with introduction session. After filling our stomachs, we proceed for a visit to Bankot Fort, which is known for its history and breathtaking views of Velas beach and Harihareshwar. After that, we head back to our dwelling for a typical Konkani lunch. Post lunch, you can rest till evening. In evening, we visit Velas beach again to sight more Olive Ridley Turtles. Rest of the evening will be dedicated to a documentary, based on the journey of turtles. You can spend the night by enjoying group games, sharing stories and experiences, etc. while having your dinner and then can retire to bed.
Day 02 – Sunday
Wake up early morning with hope of sighting those baby turtles again. Post sighting session, we will have breakfast and leave for Harihareshwar. This is the time when you will experience one of the most interesting moments of the Velas turtle festival tour, where our bus will be transferred from one district to another in a jetty via sea route. We will explore Harihareshwar Temple and beach and will have yummy lunch. After this amazing time, we leave for Mumbai and will reach the city around 9-10 pm.
Tour Concludes with Happy Memories :)