About Kolkata Backpacking :
Known as the ‘City of Joy’, Kolkata holds an important place in the economy, politics and culture of India. Kolkata has retained its quintessential charm despite modernization.‘What Bengal thought today, India thought tomorrow’, is a famous line associated with the city for having produced some of the greatest thinkers, artists, film makers and writers.No matter how you pronounce it, Kolkata or Calcutta this is a city you ‘feel’ more than simply visit. It is a big feast of culture, heritage and delectable Bengali cuisine, there are a plethora of things to do and places to visit in Kolkata for backpackers.
Backpackers this October with Mumbai Travellers get ready to feed your wanderlust as we experience the architectural marvels like the Howrah Bridge ,indulge our self in the vibrant cultural scene during Durga Mahautsav by Pandal Hopping,explore bustling street food options in back alley , witness the Tide and Tigers at Sundarnban Tiger Reserve and Finally commute through India’s only functional tram transportation network yes! you heard it right Tram!
“Dil ka bazaar hai, thoda bizzare hai
Kolkata khwaishon armaano ka achaar hai
Jitne bhi door jaao, Dil se na far hai
Kolkata dekho toh baaqi duniya bekaar hai
Strong hai powerful hai phir bhi lachar hai
Bilkul naya hai
Phir bhi Beete kal mein ye raftaar hai
Laakhon sawaal aur ek do jawaab hai
Duniya ka sabse behtareen Kathi Kabab hai
Padhna jaano toh Kolkata hi woh kitaab hai
Chhote se chhote ho koi yahaan
Phir bhi dil hai bada
Khara bhi khota bhi
Har type ka bondhu milega yahaan
Yeh buddhimaan hai aur ghanchakkar gol hai
Aisa shehar hai jiska double role hai
Chalte rehta hai phir bhi jaata kahin nahin
Udi baba kuch toh serious gondogol hai
What is included in the tour
4 Nights accommodation in Home-stays or Hotels
Local Street Food at evening like Kathi kebab, Rasgulla and other sweets
Sundarban Breakfast , Lunch dinner for 2 days entire
All Intercity transfers & Long distance sightseeing (within Kolkata) in Traveler or similar (From Kolkata to Kolkata).
An experienced backpacking expert & a Frind who will help you take the hassle out of your travel .
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch and dinner as we want you to try out Bengali Cuisines & not restrict to particular restaurant, we have left that option to you. (Off course we have tons of secret food joint list would be happy to share with you.)
- Entry tickets & Guide fees (Some like museum some don’t so why pay us if you don’t).
- Anything other than mentioned Above.
- (Free consultation and assistance from packing your backpack to choosing lens for your Camera (pre or post trip extended days)
- All applicable taxes
- Pandal Hoping
- Street Food & Bengali Sweets
- Sundarban Safari
- Old City
Day 01 : Kolkata Pandal Hoping day
Welcome to Kolkata. Hotel Transfer is arrange for you our representative would be available to welcome you at Airport. Tour Starts in evening with Pandal Hoping as we discover the festive mood amongst the Bengalis when you see the city in vibrant colors and sparkling lights as the city explodes with thousands of thematic and colourful pandals and reveals several forms of goddess Durga idols. Overnight in Kolkata.
Day 02 : Old City & Vijayadashmi-Visarjan Diwas
Day Starts early today as we experience Old City charm by visiting some of iconic places in Kolkata using Yellow Taxis and Vintage Tram network. Enjoy the mouth watering street food and Bengali sweets. Day ends by witnessing larger than life Vijayadashmi and Visarjan ceremony. Over Night in Kolkata.
Day 03 : Sundarban
Today we are heading to the Majestic Sundarban Mangrove forest a home for the Bengal tiger and other threatened species. Evening experience Cock fight competition. Late evening we are at leisure to enjoy campfire and local folk dance. Late night – a Moonlight boat safari in mysterious forest of Sundarban is arranged for you. Overnight in Sundarban.
Day 04 : Cruise Safari to Sundarban Tiger Reserve
Early morning leave for Cruise Safari to Sundarban Tiger Reserve – a getaway through the dense mangrove forest, the forest ruled by notorious man-eater tigers, to observe variety of birdlife and animal life ! Feast on tasty Lunch prepared by local fishermen on Boat itself in afternoon. Evening we bid adieu to Sundarban as we head back to Kolkata.
Day 05 : Bid Adieu Kolkata
Post Breakfast we conclude our backpacking tour and head back to Mumbai with some beautiful travel stories.
FAQs For Backpacking Trips
1. What’s the age range of the Group trip
– We have travelers from all the groups of age. Since this is an offbeat backpacking travelling community, The majority of travelers are between the age group of 20-40 belonging from various professional sectors.
2. I am travelling solo for the first time . how can i expect my experience to be
– Most of our travelers here are solo . No one has a prior acquaintance with anybody other than on the community. It is going to be like the first day of school or college or office, excitement of meeting new people with the thrill of the trip. Do not expect anything less than an adventure. Absolutely, that’s the beauty of small group travel. You will make friends quickly and your Tour lead will become a good source of support to you along the way too!
3. Are single traveler mainly male or female
Most of our trips split pretty evenly down gender lines. We average roughly 60:40 female-to-males, so youll never feel outnumbered.
4. How can i be sure i am safe
– We follow a set of safety rules to make your travel experience physically and mentally safe. Our team is well trained and equipped to handle any kind of situations. Also we send precaution note for most of our trips couple of days
5. What if i want room to myself
The fun of travelling in groups is sharing of rooms. We recommend that you share the room with fellow travelers for better bonding and understanding. Somehow, if you wish to have a separate room anyway, that can be possible for additional amount depending upon the accommodation.
6. How much freedom do i have during a Backpacking trip
Every trip has an well designed itinerary to make most out of the destination or event. Group travel are all about experiences . However If any point of time, you feel like exploring the things by yourself or would like to skip a day at stay back apart from set Itinerary, you have the freedom to do so yes only after consulting with tour Lead (Remember Traveler adhere the additional cost if any ;) ). Not everybody likes museums like no everyone enjoys shopping.
Essential Checklist :
Our number one piece of advice is: collect everything you think you need
Almost everyone brings far too much stuff. We like to travel light. However, everyone has different wants and needs, so make sure you bring the stuff that makes you happy when travelling!
1. Should i bring Backpack or Suitcase
– Either is completely fine! Personally, we would recommend a backpack as it easier to carry around when going from trains to boats (and easier to lift above your head when standing knee-deep in water ;)).
2. Parents often worry about the safety of their progeny. This is completely understandable.
– Its why a group tour is ideal for any first-time traveller you are mostly in the company of other travellers, so are far less likely to get into trouble than if you were travelling solo. We try to ensure the safety of all our travellers, however we are also against the babysitting approach of other tour companies. This means a healthy amount of individual space, with a base understanding that everyone is a self-sufficient, responsible adult.
3. What are accommodation like
During the tour you will be staying in varied places (one being the night train! during travel). However, most nights you will be staying in twin or Triple rooms/Hostels/Havelis/Nature Camps etc.. with a fellow Travellers. Our accommodation are comfortable and safe and we strive to get you guys in the best locations so some mornings youll be waking up on a lake, and others right on the beach!
4. How fit do I need to be
You dont have to be an athlete to travel with us all walks and activities are optional and there is something for everyone.
5. Do I need to bring a sleeping bag or mosquito net
You don't need to bring a sleeping bag unless informed but a sleeping bag liner/ inner is advisable. You don’t need to bring a mosquito net but we do recommend getting bug repellent